At times when I relax in the afternoon….. warm memories cascade down……. away to those carefree sunny days..
For the first decade of my married life, my brother, much younger to me, was an integral part of our household. Off and on, through those years, he would be with us, sometimes for a course, during the holidays or sometimes when he or we wished to be together. During these times, he shared our joys and sorrows, our highs and lows. I remember, opening a cola bottle when India won the World Cup and fizzling cola hit the ceiling, how our greatest joy was to discover a lending library close to our place – with the added bonus of a bakery selling puffs (a rarity in our hometown then), how we celebrated New Year’s Eve driving around town, how I watched while he and my husband played cricket – with the children running around excitedly, ...how I experimented with innumerable mutton recipes – his favourite dish..
This rich brown mutton fry recipe was given to me by my friend .It is easy to make and delicious too ! Cooked with red chillies, ginger and onions and garnished with fried onions and green curry leaves, the taste of the melt-in-the-mouth erachi ularthiyathu is just right and not overwhelmed by the spices.
MUTTON FRY – Erachi Ularthiyathu
Serves: 4 Preparation Time :15 mins Cooking Time : 45 mins
- Tender Mutton / Attirachi – 500gm (cleaned,cut)
- onion – 1/2 (cut fine)
- ginger -1″piece (cut into thin strips)
- red chilli powder -1tsp
- coriander powder -1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- curry leaves -1sprig
- oil – 4 tbsp
- salt – to taste
To Garnish -1 onion – sliced thin, curry leaves -1 stalk
- Rub ingredients (2-7) on the mutton pieces well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Cook the meat in a pressure cooker. (I keep it for 3 whistles of the cooker). Allow the cooker to cool by itself. Heat the mutton, if necessary till it is dry and all water is evaporated.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add sliced onion first and and then curry leaves. Deep fry and keep aside for garnish.
- In the same oil add cooked mutton. In slow fire, fry the mutton till crisp on the outside. Garnish with fried onions and curry leaves. Your Mutton Fry is ready. Serve hot with rice or chappathis.
Quick Tip – Pour hot liquids into a drinking glass/glass bowl only after placing a steel spoon in it. The steel spoon conducts the heat thereby preventing the glass from breaking.
Quick Snack– Cut paneer into squares. Make a paste of curd and kabab masala(I use Eastern) .Now marinate the pieces in it . Can be heated on a tawa or baked in an oven . It tastes great as a snack or as an accompaniment to pulao.