Embedded in the green strip of the tropical coast line of Kerala is my home town, Kollam. It is where some of the best sea food of India is found and is as varied as sardines, mackerel, pomfret, squid, seer fish, ….. When we went to Kollam for holidays, Amma made us the choicest of curries and delicious fish fries (yummmm). I still remember that overnight journey from Kollam to Bangalore when she had packed fried sardines and chappathi for dinner . The train started in the afternoon. Within an hour, we had polished it off.
Kerala Fish Fry (with Mackerel)
Serves – 4 Preparation time – 20 mins Cook time – 15 min
- Fish – 500 gms
- Lime – One ,extract juice
- Oil -1/2 cup
- Masala paste
- Shallots -3, chopped
- Garlic -2 ,chopped
- Ginger – 1/2″, chopped
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- a few
- Salt- To taste
- Clean, wash and cut fish; If the pieces are large, make slits on the fish for masala to be absorbed.
- Mix lime juice with the masala paste, apply the paste on the fish pieces and marinate the fish for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the fish till it turns golden brown .Turn and fry the other side too.
- The fish should be crisp and brown on the outside and soft inside.Place them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Serve hot.