Recently my nephew introduced me to Masterchef Australia – a brilliant, innovative reality cooking show. It transformed our evenings and brought new excitement and anticipation every single day. I never thought that food could evoke such strong feelings. Rightly said that food is one of the passions of man. It rekindled my interest in desserts… dug up the recipe of Caramel Custard and tried it with new vigor. Like music, we like to end each meal with a sweet note.
So here it is…
Milk – 3 cups Sugar – 3 tbsp
Eggs – 3 Water – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 6 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
- To make caramel, take a thick bottomed pan,heat it and dissolve 3 tbsp of sugar & 2 tbsp of water. Wait until it become golden brown and coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Keep it aside to cool. Take care when handling the hot pan.
- Boil milk for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, stir well, and keep aside to cool.
- Whisk 3 eggs, add vanilla essence.
- Add this to the milk – sugar mixture. Stir well and strain.
- Pour mixture into the cooled pan with caramel.
- Steam on medium heat for 30 mins.
- Cool and turn it upside down on a plate.
Here is Caramel Custard for you. Enjoy !
Note: If condensed milk is used, dilute it with milk and not water.
Quick Tip: When in season, buy peas in bulk. De-pod it and store it in the freezer. This saves time and is economical.