My children would protest whenever I serve them a fish or meat-less lunch. So, I try to improvise with a Mutta Thoran to pacify them… and most of the time it succeeds !!! Now they are grown-up and when the occasion arises, I do the same for my son-in-law and grandchildren.
Mutta thoran is scrambled eggs with grated coconut mixture added to it, I use a grinder attachment to grate the coconut and this takes the toughness out of the task.
Serves: Six Preparation Time: 15 mts Cooking Time: 15 mts
- Eggs – 6
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 stalk
- Black Pepper Corn – 1/2 tsp, freshly powdered
- Small Onion – 3, cut small
- Salt – to taste
- Coarse Coconut Mixture
- Coconut – 1 cup, grated
- Shallots(small onions) – 3, finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 2 , finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Season mustard seeds after heating oil in a thick bottomed pan
- When it starts popping, add small onions and curry leaves. Saute for two minutes or till onions turns brown.
- Add course coconut mixture ; stir for 2 minutes or till dry.
- Add beaten eggs, sprinkle salt and pepper. Keep stirring over low heat until dry.
- Serve hot mutta thoran with rice, chappathis or toast.
Note: In the past, the coconut mixture used to be just crushed on a grinding stone (ammikallu). Be sure that the mixer is rotated just once or twice briefly for the coconut mixture. Do not add water.
Quick Tip: If chappati dough becomes too wet, dry it, by keeping it in the freezer for some time.
Quick Snack: Cut leftover chappatis – 4, into small pieces.
- Grind big onion-1 and green chillies-2.
- Beat 3 eggs.
- Add onion mixture,salt and pepper to the eggs.
- Add chappati pieces to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a heavy saucepan.Put into it,the egg-paratha mixture. Stir constantly till the eggs are cooked and dry.
Did You Know: The word sautéing is from the French sauter – to jump. It is the technique of tossing small chunks of meat or vegetables in a pan, over high heat to promote even cooking and to prevent sticking.